Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fleet week

Well, I know I said yesterday that we were heading to Dziadek and Babcia's house for the weekend, but I forgot that wouldn't be until Sunday, since Jasper had already committed to going to a friend's birthday party at Bounce U today.


Since Jasper has been to about a hundred birthday parties at Bounce U in the past and recounted many of them here, we won't bore you with the details.

Instead, what I will recount today is the most excellent morning we had at Fleet Week!  You see, Fleet Week is "a tradition in which active military ships recently deployed in overseas operations dock in a variety of major cities for one week, and the public can take a guided tour of the ships."

Guess which city some of the ships docked in today? That's right - Brooklyn! And so of course,  tour the ships we did! There were all kinds of battleships and Coast Guard Cutters and even tall ships, and we boarded every one we could.


We went up ladders and down ladders, and met lots of sailors, who told us all about each ship we toured.


Since it was a beautiful, sunny day, we spent lots of time on decks, enjoying amazing views of Manhattan, not to mention the ships' guns and artillery.


We even got to steer one of the Coast Guard Cutters!


At the end, we even got helium ballons. Maybe we shouldn't admit this - but that may have been our favorite part :-)

No comments: