I've been meaning to post this post for quite some time. I realize that for many of you, keeping up with all the different Chinese relative names is a bit confusing, especially if you aren't Chinese. Add into the mix the Polish names and it really gets your head spinning. Imagine how it must be for me! So here is the cast of characters and an explanation for how the naming conventions goes, or at least how I understand it. I'll start with the Polish side since that's easier:Tatus: Daddy
Mamusia: Mommy
Babcia: Grandma aka Vicky
Dziadek: Grandpa aka Mike
Ciocia: Aunt aka Olga
Wujek: Uncle aka Chris
Prababcia: Great-Grandma
Brat: Brother
Siostra: Sister
Now on the Chinese side, things get a little bit complicated. The names that I call my relatives depends on which side of the family they are on (i.e. Mommy's side) and where Mommy fits in the family order (i.e. Mommy is the youngest of three kids). It's confusing because there are so many different names. But the cool thing is that you know exactly what each relative's relationship is to you and where they fit into the family tree based on what you call them. So here goes...
MaMa: Mommy
BaBa: Daddy
Jiah-Jiah: older sister
Gao-Gao: older brother
Mui-Mui: little sister
Dei-Dei: little brother
On the maternal side:
Ah-Boo: Maternal Grandma aka Mabel
Ah-Yeh: Maternal Grandpa
Coufou: Uncle on Mommy's side aka Ron
Couma: Coufou's wife aka Siegrid
Yee-Ma: Aunt who is older than Mommy aka Becky
I-Yee: Aunt who is younger than Mommy
Yee-Jurn: Yee-Ma or I-Yee's husband
On the paternal side:
Yeh-Yeh: Paternal Grandpa
Nai Nai: Paternal Grandma
Bak-Bak: Uncle who is older than Daddy
Bak-Mo: Bak-Bak's wife
Souk-Souk: Uncle who is younger than Daddy
Sum-Sum: Souk-Souk's wife
Gou-Ma: Aunt who is older than Daddy
Gou-Gou: Aunt who is younger than Daddy
Gou-Jurn: Gou-Ma or Gou-Gou's husband
Phew. Now other complicating factors...
Biu designates "cousin" so Keira is my Biu Mui. But I also use "Biu" when I call Mommy's cousins so Mommy's cousin Arthur is my Biu Coufou (cousin uncle) and Mommy's cousin Phyllis is my Biu Yee (cousin aunt).
You have also heard me refer to some people as Pau-Pau and Kung-Kung. This is a generic name for "Grandma" and "Grandpa" respectively and I use it when I refer to all the many family friends who are a generation older than Mommy.
Lastly, you have heard me refer to the numerous Yee-Paus - 4 Yee-Pau, 5 Yee-Pau and 6 Yee-Pau. Who are they exactly you ask? Well, they are my Ah-Boo's sisters so they are my "aunt grandmas." The numbers refer to their birth order in Ah-Boo's family.
Phew, I think that's it! I hope that you've learned something here today. I sure have.
No comments:
Post a Comment