Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Food Challenge

Guess what this morning's activity was? A food challenge. Yup, that's right. In this corner, Jasper Henry Yu-Dawidowicz, weighing in between 26-27 lbs. In the other corner, Olde Cape Cod Oyster Crackers, weighing in at 8 ounces.

It was me against the Oyster Cracker at the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute at Mount Sinai Hospital. I know that you were probably hoping for pictures of me engaged in some sort of ultimate fighting or something with the oyster cracker (how funny would that be?!!) but it wasn't that glamorous.

Over the course of about half an hour, a nice nurse named Jessica gave me a handful of crackers to eat to see if I would have an allergic reaction to wheat. Poor Jessica had to endure lots of screaming, crying and squirming but, once she offered me some tasty food, she became my best friend. (Hint Hint) After eating the crackers, we then had to wait 2 hours before going home. That was a lot of time to spend in a little room.

Good news is that I don't seem to be allergic to wheat. We have to take the next couple of days to continue introducing wheat into my diet to see how my system reacts. You see, food allergies often can be dose sensitive meaning that I might be OK eating a little bit of something but if I eat a lot, I'll have an allergic reaction. Keep your fingers crossed! If I can eat wheat, that would make things a bit easier on everyone. I still have to be careful though because a lot of wheat products also have eggs in them and I definitely can't eat eggs!

No comments: