Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Preparing for Chinese New Year

Tomorrow is Chinese New Year and there's so much to do before then! I'm so excited for my very first Chinese New Year. It's a very special time of year - one of new beginnings, giving thanks and spending time with family and friends. It starts at the second new moon after the winter solstice and this year will be the Year of the Rat.

Wait a second, does that mean that it will no longer be the Year of the Pig?? It won't be my year anymore? I don't know if I like that one bit... But, I'm still excited to learn about all the traditions that go along with the New Year festivities...

The first thing we have to do is clean the house and sweep the floors, to sweep away the bad luck from last year and prepare us to welcome good luck in the new year. Yay!

Next, since it's the time of new beginnings, according to custom I also had to get my hair cut, so I'll be fresh and clean for the New Year. It's about time anyways. My hair has been starting to get in my eyes a bit lately if you haven't noticed.

Though Mommy may have taken a bit much off the top... I'm not so sure how I feel about that...


What do you think? How does my hair look - too short?


Well, I guess the haircut also had the advantage of getting some of yesterday's Aquaphor / Vaseline combination off my head (since multiple washings with shampoo - and, believe it or not, dish washing liquid - don't seem to be doing the trick...)

Finally, after all these preparations, tomorrow I'll also get to wear a special New Years Day outfit. Mommy is very excited about that, but she won't tell me anything about this "special outfit" or what it looks like, except that it's a "traditional outfit all the boys wear on Chinese New Year"... We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what that's all about...


1 comment:

Olga said...

This new bowl cut should teach you to keep your hands out of the ointment jar. Hee hee...