Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone! I can't believe that it's 2008 already. Where has the time gone? Alas, like many of you, I'm still experiencing a bit hangover from New Year's Eve last night. Or to be more accurate, in my case, a "Benadryl-over". Let me explain...

I had quite a day yesterday. We all had a fun time playing in the morning and celebrating the last day of the year. For lunch, Mommy and Daddy thought that it was time to introduce a new food to my diet. Since I've been a little iffy on yogurt (a bit tangy for me), they thought that it would be yummy to mix my yogurt with banana. At first, everything seemed to be going well and I was happily enjoying my banana. And then, my face started feeling funny and very very itchy. Yup, you guessed it. I'm allergic to bananas. My already-round face became even more swollen and round and I had hives all over. Mommy quickly gave me Benadryl and everything seemed to calm down. Although I was a bit sleepy the rest of the day, I was feeling better.

Then, as we were getting ready to head out for our New Year's Eve dinner, I started getting restless and itchy again. Daddy noticed that my whole body was red and broken out in hives. No fun. After another dose of Benadryl, we jumped in the car and headed over to see my friends at the LICH Emergency Department. After waiting for a bit, I was finally seen in the Pediatric ER. I was feeling better and I must say enjoying myself. I was dressed down to my diaper and got to play around with the sheets on the crib. Mommy and Daddy looked a bit more serious though.

In the end, they upped my dosage of Benadryl and gave me some other medicines including a steroid to help keep my allergic reaction in check. I hope that this doesn't affect my future Major League Baseball career. I'm feeling so much better today and feeling much more like myself - I've been rolling around the entire apartment! So, future babysitters please note - no bananas or avocados for me please!!

No comments: