Monday, November 8, 2010

Marathon Sunday

There's always a special vibe in the air on marathon Sunday. This year was no different. It was a beautiful, cold, crisp morning - perfect running weather as Mommy and Daddy like to say. As in other years, we were all ready to watch the runners whiz by on 4th Avenue, right near our house. First, we watched the runners on TV prepare out on Staten Island and then run across the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge over the Brooklyn. Wait a second - they actually run across the bridge? The very same bridge that we drive across to go to and from Babcia and Dziadek's house? And they run all the way here? And all the way to Central Park?? This was the first year that I actually got what was going on and all I had to say to Mommy was, "Mommy, they're crazy. That's a long way."

Daddy and Mommy's friend Patricia came over to watch the marathon with us and she brought an extra special treat - sticky buns! We bundled up and went downstairs to take our spot next to the mile 7 marker to cheer the runners on.

Here they come! Patricia and I are ready with our cowbells as the elite women racers swoosh by.

Everett doesn't seem to be so interested in the race but he sure was fascinated with his cowbell.

Marathon Sunday also happened to coincide with Claudine's birthday party. Her Mommy and Daddy set up a hot cocoa station for all of us as we watched the race.

As you can see, I very much enjoyed my cocoa.

They even organized an egg race for all of us kids! We got to color in our number, pin it on our back and then race up and down the sidewalk carrying an egg on a spoon.

While I didn't win, I sure did have a lot of fun. And congratulations to Gebre Gebremariam of Ethiopia and Edna Kiplagat of Kenya who won the men's and women's races respectively!

1 comment:

Rebecca Yu said...

I thought you're supposed to roll the egg on the ground with the spoon. What's with the carrying the egg in the spoon?!