Saturday, May 10, 2008

© MURAKAMI

Today we took a family outing to the Brooklyn Museum of Art to the see the © MURAKAMI exhibit, a retrospective of the work of Japanese artist Takashi Murakami. I've been begging Mommy and Daddy to take me for weeks now because Murakami is a very influential Asian artist and well, I just might be an artist one day too. Most of all, I love the way he merges fine art with mass media, animation, consumerism and pop culture almost in a tongue and cheek fashion. He's probably best known for his designs for Louis Vuitton handbags but he also created the "Superflat" style of painting which are influenced by Japanese manga and anime.

I LOVED seeing all the bright colors and the cute figurines and characters in his painting, sculptures and wall murals. This was one of my favorite rooms - the walls were covered with different colored smiling flowers and in the center of the room, there was a crazy sculpture of more flowers and branches and bunnies! I just wanted to reach out and touch everything but I admit that it was a bit of sensory overload.

There was another room with a painted floor. Mommy let me run around for a while. It reminded me of the color floor at the MoMA that I got to explore back in January.

At the end of our visit, I hung out with Rodin's Burghers of Calais. While the Burghers pondered the devastating loss of Calais to England's Kind Edward III during the Hundred Years' War and their own self-sacrifice to save the people of the city, I enjoyed a little rest and a snack.

No comments: