Wednesday, June 22, 2011

SEPTA!

Hi everyone - Jasper, here. (Daddy accidentally logged me in as Everett - I think he's a little tired, so we decided to just go with it.)

Anyway, I know that Everett has been providing a rundown of our Father's Day weekend in New Jersey in the last few blog posts, but I just had to add one more thing, because I made a great new discovery while we were at Dziadek and Babcia's house. You see, usually when we go there, I get someone to take me on the PATCO train, which runs from New Jersey to Philadelphia over the Ben Franklin Bridge, and is a great ride.

But this weekend, I made a new discovery - did you know there is a whole other transit system in Philadelphia itself? Yes! It's called SEPTA, and I can't believe I just discovered it now, after all these years of coming here. Better late than never, though, I guess. So of course as soon as I discovered the existence of this SEPTA, I got Daddy to take me for full morning of riding the rails (my very favorite activity in the world, as you might know.)

We started out by studying the system map, so that we would know where we were going.

It didn't really help, since we managed to get lost anyway, but I didn't care, since that just meant more time on the trains. And the train rides themselves were great, especially because on the SEPTA choo-choos, you can sit right up front on the first car and look through the front window into the driver's cab and the tracks ahead - something that you can't do in New York, but that is great fun! It almost feels like you're driving the train yourself - 

At some point after being lost for a while, we decided to come out from the underground stations to get our bearings on where we were in the city, and came across this mural - more trains!

But that wasn't even the best part. The best part was this -

Trolleys! It turns out that SEPTA not only has underground choo-choo's but also several trolley lines - both above ground, and underground, often running next to the trains. Can you imagine that? Well, neither could I, so once Daddy got his bearings on where we were, I made sure we got plenty of time on the trolley as well.

What a great discovery this SEPTA system is. Just one more reason to visit Dziadek and Babcia's house whenever we can!

No comments: