Monday, October 6, 2008

Weekend in Brooklyn

While Mommy and Daddy were away relaxing in Vermont, I had a fun weekend at home with Babcia, Dziadek and Ciocia Olga. Aside from the regular weekend activities - gym & swim class at the YMCA, farmer's market and lots of running around outside - I got to go to the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Since it was the first Saturday of the month, there was no museum admission fee and there were lots of activities for everyone.

This weekend was also Open House New York - a big architecture and design event in the city. The event opens the doors to about 200 city landmarks, museums, parks, studios and homes - many of them not normally open to the public - throughout the five boroughs. Some of the places you could visit included Governors Island, the Highline, Fresh Kills (former landfill/future park on Staten Island), the Rockefeller Center rooftop garden, and the little red lighthouse underneath the George Washington Bridge. This year, I got to visit Tom Otterness' studio again. Remember, he's one of my favorite artists and we went to his studio last year? Well, this visit was a bit different from last year's visit. For one, I can now walk and didn't have to be carried around in a Baby Bjorn. Also, this year I got to show off my own artistic talents.

I was very proud of my new drawing that I wanted to show Mr. Otterness himself. Give me the drawing Ciocia Olga!

I enjoyed running around and seeing all his sculptures and his studio. This one was my favorite. I wanted to take it home with me. Okay, maybe I just wanted to take a couple of the gold coins with me. Shhhh. No one would notice, right Ciocia Olga?

No comments: