Saturday, October 6, 2007
Open Studio
Daddy had a surprise planned for me and Mommy this morning. He wouldn't tell us where we were going or what we were going to do. At the appointed hour, the three of us set off towards the Gowanus. After a short walk, we arrived at the studio of Tom Otterness.
Tom Otterness is an American sculptor and one of the most prolific creators of public art. If you live in New York City, you've probably seen his work around town most notably in Battery Park and in the 14th Street/8th Avenue subway station. He's also done commissions all over the world like at the Hague and in Sacramento. Mommy and Daddy both love sculpture and have a particular fondness for Mr. Otterness' quirky, pudgy, cartoon-like characters. Daddy used to live near the 14th Street subway station so he and Mommy have spent quite of bit of time admiring the little bronze sculptures emerging from the floors and playing along the ceilings of the station.
Mr. Otterness opened up his studio to the public as part of the Open House New York - a weekend during which you can tour artist's studios and architecturally significant and interesting buildings and landmarks in all five of NYC's boroughs. He showed us around his studio and explained to us the process in which his ideas take shape and come to life, first on paper then as wax or clay molds and finally cast in the familiar bronze.
Here's a picture of the three of us with one of Mr. Otterness' sculptures.
Look there's even a little baby froggie - Just like me!
Here I am with Daddy. In the background, you can see a drawing of one of my favorite pieces. It's a playground that Mr. Otterness designed that looks like a giant reclining man. His two legs are slides and you can climb up his neck into his head and look out of his eye - kind of like a crow's nest. I wish I had a playground set like that to play on.
I really enjoyed learning more about sculpture. I even got a signed poster from Mr. Otterness. After visiting all these museums in the last couple of months, it was neat to be in the studio of a real artist. I'm really liking this art stuff. Jasper sounds like a good name for an artist, don't you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jasper you and baby froggie look alike!
WHAT is that hat your daddy is wearing??!!
Hello Yee-Ma. I know that Daddy's hat looks like that other team's but it's really a Brooklyn Cyclones hat. So everything is okay.
Post a Comment