Monday, September 5, 2011

Hiking

We've had beautiful weather throughout our vacation, but the weather forecast has been calling for Summer showers and thunderstorms for today - our last afternoon here. So, to make sure we maximized the great weather we have been having, we took a couple of family hikes yesterday and this morning.

Yesterday's hike was a bit more traditional - in the woods, on a trail path, with animals and all that. Of course, before we could actually start hiking, I had to consult the trail map.

 
Once I figured out where we were heading, we were off...

And as soon as we got there, Jasper made a friend - an older boy who had just found a frog near the pond that was our hiking destination.

 Cool stuff.

Then, this morning, we went on a different type of hike - through a nearby "hamlet" called Rhinecliff. We didn't need a trail map this time, because our destination was clear, as determined by Jasper. Can you guess what it was?

 
Yep, what else? - The Kingston-Rhinecliff Railroad Station. And we made it just in time for the main event - the arrival of a big Amtrak train!

 I think you can tell how engrossed Jasper was. I went in for a look, too.

 Though I have to admit - I'm not sure how many other families hike to small-town train stations during their vacations... But at least this one was on the Hudson River, and there was a small park right next door, so we could run around a bit and enjoy the views before the rain came.

No comments: