Friday, September 2, 2011

"The Aerodome"

I think that my passion (obsession?) for trains is well documented, but what may not be as well known is my recent fascination with airplanes. Believe it or not, I think that I may love planes almost as much as I love trains. Some days, I want to be a train conductor when I grow up. Other days, I want to be a pilot. Lucky for me and Everett, right near our house in Rhinebeck is the Old Rhinebeck Aerodome. It has one of the world's largest collection of flying pioneer, WWI and Lindbergh-era airplanes. 

It was hard for Everett and I to resist touching the planes. We really wanted to sit in one and fly it for ourselves. Since we couldn't do that, we had to settle for the "rocking airplane." Not quite the same but it will do.

The aerodome also features a big collection of motorcycles, automobiles and early engines from 1900-1935. 

The craziest thing is that they actually take these antique airplanes out and fly them during weekend air shows!! Since we visited during a weekday, we didn't get to see an air show but I did get to pretend to fly a plane. What do you think? Future pilot?

 
In the afternoon, we decided to spice things up a little bit. Instead of visiting the big pool at the house, we opted for the small jacuzzi which is right outside of the kitchen. It was nice and warm and cozy for two little boys like us. A nice way to end the day.

No comments: