Monday, May 18, 2009

Firenze

After spending three beautiful days in Umbria, we were off to Firenze. On the way, we made a side trip to Siena which was once the great rival of the city of Florence. The main piazza in town is the fan-shpaed Piazza del Campo. There's something about Il Campo because as soon as I got out of my stroller, all I wanted to do was run around!

I think that it's one of the most beautiful public spaces. Something about it encourages people to just sit and lounge while people watching.

We strolled through the cobblestone streets and came upon the Duomo, a gothic cathedral with multicolored marble and an extremely detailed facade.

Unfortunately, we had to leave and couldn't spend more time in Siena. It was time for my nap afterall (and the best time for Daddy to drive without many distractions from the back seat). We were on our way to Florence and the Palazzo Alfani - our home for the next few days. Since we were staying literally across the street from Galleria dell'Accademia, we went to see Michelangelo's David and his unfinished Slaves. David was huge!! Since they wouldn't let me take a picture with David in the museum, I had to settle for a picture with its replica in the Piazza della Signoria.

There was so much to see and do in Florence. We spent our days wandering around the city, trying to avoid all the tourists and soaking up as much of Florence as we could. Of course there was the Duomo, Baptistery and Giotto's Bell Tower...

I tried to get up close and personal with some of the bald headed men carved into the Duomo's doors.

Piazza della Republica with its carousel...

Santa Croce which houses the tombs of many great men including Michelangelo, Galileo, Dante and Machiavelli...

and the Boboli Gardens at the Pitti Palace, the home of the Medici.

While the gardens were impressive, all I really cared about was playing with the gravel. Boy was I filthy!!

But the best part was finally getting our luggage back after almost a week! Not only did that mean that I got some fresh clothes and socks, I was also able to give Mommy her Mother's Day card which Daddy had thoughtfully packed away in our suitcase. I was so excited to give Mommy her card that I forgot to put pants on! Happy Mother's Day Mommy!!

1 comment:

Rebecca Yu said...

Good boy Jasper! I'm so glad you like Firenze, because it's one of Yee-Ma's favorite places too. Maybe you'll go again and show JuJu around next time!